The Greens have been campaigning to stop WestConnex and invest in public transport since this expensive, dirty tollroad was announced in 2012.
As the NSW Greens spokesperson on WestConnex and the Member for Newtown, Jenny Leong has been working alongside community action groups and local residents to highlight the major flaws and devastating impacts of this $16.8 billion project.
Our current campaign seeks to disrupt the financing of WestConnex by focusing on bids for the forthcoming sale of at least 51% of WestConnex. We're doing this by asking our super funds: #DontSuperFundWestConnex.
We are also calling on the NSW Labor Party to commit to cancelling the contracts if they win the state election in March 2019.
We're committed to working with the community to stop WestConnex and invest in efficient, convenient public transport.
The Greens have a plan to scrap WestConnex and support cleaner, greener projects such as:
- An Inner West Light Rail Link heading up Parramatta Road, connecting the CBD to the inner west
- The proposed Western Sydney Light Rail Network, which would connect the Parramatta CBD to regional employment hubs such as Macquarie Park and Castle Hill
- Buying back the Airport Link from its private operator and slashing the Station Access Fee, which will take thousands off the road
- Investing in park-and-ride facilities at major train stations to encourage and divert thousands of commuters off major roads and onto public transport as they commute into the city
- Integrating the cycleways for Sydney's west and inner west.
It's not too late to Stop WestConnex!