Investigative journalist, Wendy Bacon describes the recent WestConnex demolitions in Haberfield.
Despite two Stop WestConnex occupations, a vigil, daily picketing and the strong opposition of Ashfield Council, demolition began last week and by Tuesday, three houses and some businesses had been turned into large piles of rubble and contaminated waste.
Demolition work stopped on the site of a massive WestConnex construction site in Haberfield heritage conservation area in Sydney’s inner west after residents complained about dust from asbestos and other waste produced in very windy conditions.
Scores of homes and businesses are slated for destruction in Haberfield, not because they are needed inside the tollway footprint, but because they are needed for the construction site.
WestCONnex Action Group (WAG) spokesperson Sharon Laura who lives nearby said she arrived to picket at around 7am on Tuesday morning to find work continuing in blustery conditions. By 9am, it was clear that small hoses used to dampen rubble could not control the dust and the fence around the construction site nearly blew over twice. Laura said that she unsuccessfully tried to make contact with Sydney Motorway Corporation’s (SMC) Westconnex team or construction company Leighton’s staff. Eventually she finally got through to a community engagement manager. While she was explaining what she saw as a dangerous situation, the temporary fence fell over altogether.
Work was then stopped for an hour. After the fence was secured, work continued in high winds.
Read the full City Hub article here.