Member for Newtown Jenny Leong MP has questioned the Minister for WestConnex on his inaction regarding the foul, toxic odour emanating from the WestConnex construction site in St Peters.
“What is the point of the Minister for WestConnex, if he is failing to take proper oversight of the serious concerns around the construction of this tollroad.
“It’s unacceptable that residents have complained bitterly for two weeks directly to the Minister and various bodies, but saw no real action until I raised it with the Minister today.
“Under his watch, thousands of residents have been badly impacted by this foul, toxic odour for weeks.
“The Environmental Protection Agency and the Sydney Motorway Corporation have finally responded after I raised the alarm with the Minister’s office.
“It was clear from the Minister for WestConnex’s response in Parliament that his role is redundant. When pushed on what he would do, he simply pointed to the action taken by the EPA and Sydney Motorway Corporation.
"The community has known for a long time that this project stinks - but now the stench is real and having a serious impact on the health and lives of local residents, workers and businesses.
“The fact that the site has not been fully remediated yet WestConnex are tunnelling deep into the contaminated land is untenable,” she said.
Chemical stench - St Peters WestConnex construction site time frame:
- March 16 - Issue identified by residents of St Peters, Tempe and Sth Newtown and the Sydney Motorway Corporation was contacted.
- March 23 - WestConnex Action Group contacted the Minister for WestConnex, Stuart Ayres, the Sydney Motorway Corporation, the Inner West Council and Work Safe NSW.
- March 24 - EPA visited the site
- March 29 - Approx 12noon - Member for Newtown, Jenny Leong contacts the office of the Minister for WestConnex Stuart Ayres.
- March 29 - EPA issued Media Release and Prevention Orders demanding that odours are contained in the site by Friday this week.
- March 29 – Approx 3pm – Jenny Leong asks questions of the Minister during Question Time.